With Shred Day a few weeks away, we wanted to provide you ample time to begin sorting through old files and preparing documents to bring to Shred Day. With the large volume we have seen at previous Shred Days, we ask that you follow these guidelines to help us ensure the safe destruction of unwanted confidential and sensitive data:
- All documents must be brought in a sturdy box with a lid -- we will not be able to accept boxes without lids or boxes that are falling apart;
- Please take all documents out of binders and folders with metal brads – note that we will not be able to process binders and metal brads;
- The vendors are able to shred CD’s – please remove CD’s from plastic containers, and place all CD’s together in a box;
- The shredding companies we contract with are not able to shred hard drives due to mobile unit constraints; and
- All documents must be accompanied by a Disposition Log. Please visit http://www.swco.ttu.edu/recordsmanagement/index.php to obtain a blank disposition log and to review the University Retention Policy. For your convenience, a list of Records Management FAQs can be found at http://www.swco.ttu.edu/recordsmanagement/RM%20FAQ.pdf. For assistance with document retention policies and guidelines prior to Shred Day, please contact Lynn Whitfield at (806)742-8675 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shred Day Event Details:
When: Tuesday, May 22 from 9am-2pm
What: The TTU Office of the CIO has contracted with ShredIT/SecureIT, WesTex Documents, and Document Shredding & Storage to provide mobile shredding units; shredding will be done at no charge to the TTU community.
Where: United Spirit Arena Parking Lot, north end
Reminder: While you are reviewing documents, now is also a good time to review any documents you have archived in Xtender. Please delete Xtender documents that are no longer needed or have passed their retention dates. For additional information regarding Shred Day, please email ITevents@ttu.edu.